DEVELOPMENT EXECUTIVE / PRODUCER / SCRIPT EDITOR
Dynamic television executive with extensive experience in the development and production of television drama, comedy and children's programmes for the UK and international market with a proven track record in the successful creation and production of original series across a variety of genres. I am confident about my taste when it comes to good storytelling and I have a keen sense of what ideas could work and the ability to marry these ideas with the best talent for the project. I am also:
• Experienced in originating and commissioning projects and seeing them through from the development of the scripts to filming and post-production, ensuring that the editorial intent of the creator and writer is not lost during the process.
• A creative producer with success in delivering quality programmes to time and budget while working to tight schedules and with limited resources.
• A well-respected script editor and development executive who has successfully built and maintained relationships with writers, agents, production companies and broadcasters.
• Very familiar with US television programmes and networks.
• Knowledgeable and experienced with regards to developing channel strategies, understanding scheduling and audience research, and devising programming and marketing strategies.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE & ACHIEVEMENTS
• Commissioned and developed story lines and scripts for final series of WAKING THE DEAD. This has entailed contacting agents, reading sample scripts, meeting writers, short listing story pitches, working up ideas with writers and commissioning treatments and scripts. During production, I was responsible for overseeing script changes and rewrites and liaising with the cast and production team on set.
• Also developed story lines and scripts for long running BBC crime series, SILENT WITNESS. I commissioned, developed and oversaw all five 2-hour episodes of the hugely successful series 13 which drew in consistently high audience ratings and won critical praise.
• Successfully rescued the development of a new 13 x 25'children's drama series for CBBC/ABC Australia/Cake Entertainment. Working to a very tight three month deadline, I managed to rewrite the series bible, brief existing writers on the rewrite of their scripts, bring in new writers both in the UK and Australia, story line further episodes, and deliver production scripts to schedule.
• UK Drama Development Executive at Fremantle Media/Talkback Thames responsible for overseeing the UK drama development slate. Worked closely with the European drama department in reformatting the corporation's existing dramatic formats for the UK, Europe and the US. Regularly shared ideas with colleagues in other parts of the corporation working around the globe.
• Good track record developing projects with many different writers of varying experiences and styles on such long running series as THE BILL, and such award winning authored series as PRESTON FRONT by Tim Firth and MICROSOAP by Mark Haddon.
• As a freelance development producer, I am constantly looking for interesting stories, seeking out new writing talent and maintaining my creative relationships with established writers to come up with new ideas and concepts to pitch to production companies and broadcasters.
• Produced two successful series of 15 x 25' children's comedy-drama series LIVING IT for CBBC, which I co-created with award winning New Zealand writer Gavin Strawhan. The series had a very tight budget of £140,000/episode, but with strong planning, creative resourcefulness and clever negotiation of post production talent, we delivered a visually fun and exciting kids programme that proved popular with the target audience. The first series was featured at the Showcomotion Children's Film & TV Festival.
• Executive produced the serial BEECH IS BACK, a spin-off from the long-running ITV series, THE BILL. Working to a very tight delivery schedule and budget, I commissioned all the writers, oversaw the project from story line development through to post production, and fulfilled the brief of the network.
• Experience in the production of studio-based and location-based programmes.
• Provided creative leadership for production teams and crews on my original productions, conveying clearly my vision for the projects throughout the process. My strong communication skills and calm, thoughtful interpersonal style often set the tone for positive, productive working environments.
• Ability to identify writers with strong individual voices and potential talent. Over the years I have nurtured new writers and given them opportunities to develop their writing for television and film. Several writers I championed in their early career have succeeded in having their original work produced for television.
• Guest lecturer and mentor for writers and directors on the MA programmes at De Montfort University and the London Film School and the BBC's Writers Room.
Freelance Development Producer/Producer 2003 - present
Production Credits include:
WAKING THE DEAD, series 9 for BBC1 present
DEAD GORGEOUS, series 1, for CBBC/ABC Australia 2009
SILENT WITNESS, series 12 & 13 for BBC1 2007 - 2009
LIVING IT, series 1 & 2 for CBBC 2003 - 2007
Fremantle Media/Talkback Thames, Drama Development Executive 1998 - 2003
Credits: THE LAW, PROMOTED TO GLORY, THE BILL, BEECH IS BACK
BBC Pebble Mill, Development Script Editor 1994 - 1997
Credits: PRESTON FRONT, BACK UP, MICROSOAP
European Script Fund, Granada, LWT, BBC, Script Consultant 1992 - 1994
Consultant on TV drama projects. Feature film script doctor.
A&E Network - New York, Programme Manager 1988 - 1991
Acquired drama, comedy and arts programmes for the channel.
Yale Repertory Theatre, National Playwrights Conference - Connecticut 1984 - 1986
Worked on the production of three seasons of new plays festivals.